GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION
By the end of the Secondary cycle, the learner should be able to:
1. develop physical and neuromuscular skills. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) develop and define locomotor skills
b) develop and define non-locomotor skills
c) develop and define sports, dance and recreational skills.
2. perform skilful and efficient movements through physical and mental coordination. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) control the speed and force of movement according to the requirements of various situations
b) move and control themselves, apparatus and other equipment accurately
c) co-ordinate different parts of the body in order to throw, catch, kick and strike a variety of objects/apparatus
d) move the whole body and specific parts of the body in a variety of rhythms necessary for different physical activities
e) judge the movements of other people and objects so that one can time own movements correctly
f) have a sense of balance to confidently support oneself on various parts of the body and in different positions by controlling the body on the ground, in the air and in water
g) move and land with resilience at all times
h) perform all physical activities in a fluent and continuous manner
i) use a variety of techniques showing heavy, light, fast and slow movements to create patterns.
3. develop knowledge and experience of movement concepts for expression and communication. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) experience and master different movements
b) communicate a variety of themes and ideas through movements
c) communicate a variety of themes and ideas such as messages against HI V/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted infections (STIs).
a) develop positive attitude towards own country
b) develop good neighbourliness with all communities within and around the country
c) work together for the fulfilment of national aspirations
d) instil a sense of unity, cohesiveness and awareness through participation in group situations
e) empathize with and be receptive and sensitive to the movements and ideas of others
f) criticize the movements of others constructively
g) lead and be led in group movement situations
h) perform movement skills in unison with others where the situation requires
i) imitate the movements of others.
5. develop social skills through physical activities, Specifically, the learner should be able to:
a) establish rapport with all colleagues
b) develop sportsperson ship and fair play
c) abide by all the rules and regulations of the sporting activities
d) co-operate with others in the use of available resources
e) recognize own and be sensitive to others rights
f) develop gender sensitivity and responsiveness through participation in sporting activities
g) recognize and appreciate the needs, feelings and efforts of others.
6. appreciate and participate in both national and international sport and dance for understanding, respect and preservation of own and other cultures. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) perform and appreciate sporting activities and dances
from own cultures within
b) perform and appreciate traditional sporting activities
and dances from different cultures in
c) perform and appreciate sporting activities and dances from other cultures.
7. explore and appreciate the environment through physical activities, Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) participate in outdoor pursuits
b) develop awareness on environmental degradation in order to improve and conserve the environment
c) develop basic survival and life saving skills
d) develop awareness of natural resources and the inspirations they have to offer.
8. engage in physical activities in order to promote health, fitness and general body growth and development, Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) value the importance of regular physical activities
b) use the appropriate physical activities for correction of bodily defects
c) develop the specific components of fitness through appropriate exercise
e) appreciate the value of personal hygiene
f) identify behavioural activities that affect body growth and health negatively
g) recognize the dangers of drug and substance abuse to self and others.
9. appreciate Physical Education and sports as a foundation for further education and career. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) appreciate Physical Education as an area of study
b) appreciate Physical Education as a career subject
c) recognize the importance of participation in Physical Education to an individual and to the society
d) understand the place of Physical Education and sport in other careers
e) encourage the use of Physical Education and sports as a means to industrial transformation.
10. identify, nurture and develop individual talents in specific sports, Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) identify own potential through participation
b) develop and apply the identified talent to different sporting levels of performance
c) develop a positive attitude towards training and conditioning.
11. develop creativity, ability for inquiry and individual initiative, Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) improvise and use a variety of equipment and space
b) develop own movements in different situations
c) initiate different physical activities when necessary
d) use the available resources to construct equipment and instruments for sports and dance activities
e) devise different uses for the available instruments, equipment and facilities for physical activities
f) design and arrange movement within available space
g) explore the use of modern technology to improve sporting technology.
12. enjoy and appreciate participation in movement for its own sake, Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) play to enjoy the experience of movement
b) identify aesthetic qualities in movement
c) appreciate and evaluate different movement elements
d) participate in a variety of physical activities in different environments.
13. develop self-discipline through the understanding and application of rules and regulations in games and sports. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) develop a positive attitude towards sports
b) apply and abide by the rules and regulations of various games and sports
c) develop moral values and positive character through sporting activities
d) prepare adequately for competition through appropriate physical and mental training
e) display integrity and social responsibility in physical education and sporting situation.
14. promote the development of a variety of skills for recreation and positive use of leisure. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) appreciate the positive value of recreational activities
b) develop enthusiasm for physical activities and positive leisure time pursuits
c) initiate, organize and participate in leisure time projects such as sports, clubs and dance groups
d) perform sports and dances of various communities.
15. develop awareness of safety skills and preventive measures in Physical Education and sports. Specifically the learner should be able to:
a) use physical education equipment correctly
b) use relevant equipment for specific activities
c) perform skills correctly as individuals and in groups
d) acquire and apply the basic safety skills
e) use appropriate attire for specific activities
f) develop awareness of basic principles of First Aid and injuries related to sports.